History of Casket Arts Building
The Northwestern Casket Company dates back to 1882, making it one of the oldest buildings in the twin cities. The casket company was primarliy a manufacturer and distributor of funeral supplies such as high quality funeral cars, ambulances, burial garments, burial vaults and caskets.
Daily shipments of raw lumber were delievered to the plant where crafts,an would create and asssemble the shell of the casket as well as customizing the interior fabric. Caskets were ordered by funeral directors via express telegraph or US Postal Service and shipped by train to the funeral provider.
The company occupied the building until 2005, and the current owners are breathing new life into the building with the goal of creating space for artists.